Sweat Drug Screen - Sweat Drug Testing
Another form of testing that is not very popular is a sweat drug screen. This test works by affixing a patch to someone’s skin. This patch gathers a person’s sweat
over an extended period of time (10-14 days) The patches have a security feature that will show signs that it has been tampered with and then reaffixed without the knowledge
of the one doing the testing. These sort of tests are only really used by CPS, parole departments and government offices. The reason for using this sort of test is when there
is a concern over someone using over a long period of time, when a urine test would not prove as effective. However, this form of test has fallen into disuse by the government
because of documented issues with this test regarding certain drugs.
Pros: Sweat test are non-invasive and donor friendly. Specimen collection is easy and no bathroom is required for specimen collection. The
detection window is prolonged and most of the time can detect drug usage
for a time period of a couple of weeks. They are pretty much tamper proof because they are difficult to manipulate. There is no lab needed and results are obtained within
Cons: The main disadvantage is the fact that they are open to contamination. Also, there are large differences in sweat production rates of donors that can make some test
results inconclusive. There is also little variety in these tests due to their lack in popularity. Cost for these test are usually a little and they are limited by the number
of drugs that they can detect.
For more information on the different types of drug tests, click on one of the links to the left.
- The sweat patch is a non-occlusive, hypoallergenic collection device.
- The sweat patch was cleared as a collection device by FDA on October 4, 1990.
The FDA cleared the sweat patch for the detection of cocaine, opiates and methamphetamine in 1995; for marijuana and phencyclidine in 1996.
View PDF of Sweat Patch Tech.
Tests sweat for: cocaine, opiates, amphetamines, PCP and marijuana
Drug Detection in Sweat
- Tests for both the drug metabolite and the parent drug
- Hygienic – no handling urine
- No sample substitution
- 24 hours per day, 7 - 10 days of continuous wear time, when applied properly
- Retains drugs used any time during wear period
- Cannot be diluted and is tamper evident
- Nearly 15 years of reliability
- Increased window of detection
- Acts as a deterrent to drug use
- Variable removal date
- Quick applications and removals
- Gender indifferent
Patch Detects Parent Drug & Metabolites
- Cocaine: cocaine, benzoylecgonine
- Heroin: 6-MAM, morphine
- Codeine: codeine, morphine
- Synthetic opiates: hydromorphone, hydrocodone, oxymorphone and oxycodone
- Amphetamine: methamphetamine, amphetamine
- PCP: PCP
- Marijuana: THC